• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

For Teachers (Regular Work Visa)

1. What do I need to know about extending my visa?

1. If your employment agreement comes to an end after the term of your visa’s validity, you must extend your visa and obtain a new registration slip.

2. Submission of documents for extending your visa should be made no earlier than 3 (three) months and no later than 30 calendar days prior to the expiration of your current visa. The Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation shall process visas subject to extension within 30 calendar days.

3. A visa may be prolonged for a maximum of 1 (one) calendar year at a time under the timeframe of your employment agreement and shall expire 6 (six) months prior to the expiry of your current passport.

4. After obtaining a new passport, you should, within 30 calendar days, go to the HR Office and sign an addendum to your employment agreement and submit documents for transferring your visa to the new passport.

3. What should I do while I am waiting for my visa?

The issue of a visa can take around 30 calendar days. During your wait, you are recommended to prepare your documents for extending your migration registration. After receiving your new visa, you will have only 3 (three) working days to submit documents to extend your registration. Confirm with the landlord of your apartment about which documents are necessary for prolonging registration.

How may I find out if my visa is ready?

You will receive a notification via your corporate e-mail. If you have provided a different address or not received the message, check your ‘spam’ folder. You may also find out about when your visa will be ready by sending an e-mail message to visa-registration@hse.ru, indicating your full name, citizenship and approximate date when documents were submitted for prolonging your visa.

What should I do when I get a notification stating that my visa is ready?

Bring your passport to the Visa and Registration Centre at the time specified in the message. Your passport will be at the Centre for 1 to 3 working days. You will be told when to pick up the passport.

Try to pick up your passport on the assigned specific day. While you do not have your passport, keep copies of its bio-page and current visa on your person.

2. What documents should I prepare to extend my visa?

1) Passport;

Your passport should be valid for at least 18 months. The passport should have a minimum of 4 (four) blank pages for attaching your visa and placing entry/exit stamps. If your passport does not have enough blank pages, you must acquire a new passport.

You will need to leave your passport with the Visa and Registration Centre until the visa extension procedures are complete. This may take up to 3 (three) working days. So, please be aware that during this time, you will need to carry copies of the bio-page of your passport and current visa.

2) receipt for payment of state duty/payment order

Check with the inviting subdivision if:

HSE University covers the cost of the state duty?

3) copies (of your passport, migration card, registration slip (both sides));

4) photographs;

You may use previously taken or new colour photographs (3.5 x 4.5cm on a white background).

5) a copy of your employment or independent contractor agreement, certified by the HR Office.

Get in contact with the HR Office and confirm the procedure for ordering this document. Please note that it can take up to 5 (five) working days to issue the document.

4. I’ve received my new visa. What should I do next?

Thoroughly check the personal data stated on the visa, e.g., compare the personal data between the old visa and the new visa, relying on this sample. If you find a mistake on the new visa, immediately inform the Visa and Registration Centre about this.

Please note that, owing to the issue of Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs Directive No. 23235 “On Approval of the List of Purposes of Visit to be Used in the Issue of Visas to Foreign Citizens”, the purpose of your visits in the visa should specify ‘Work’.

Within 3 (three) days from the date the visa is pasted into your passport, you must submit documents for the prolongation of your migration card. This procedure may vary, depending on where you resided. This service is provided free of charge.

I will be staying in a private flat

The owner of the apartment should help you get registered with migration authorities. Go with your landlord, taking your passport and migration card, to get registered on the first working day after your arrival. The landlord may refer to our instructions.

You may also require a special petition from HSE University. To obtain a petition, make a request with the Visa and Registration Centre by sending an e-mail to: visa-registration@hse.ru.

If the migration office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs/Multifunctional Centre for the area where you reside requires a petition, which differs from the standard form, please attach a file with a sample of the requested document (samples are usually found on stands at the migration office/Multifunctional Centre or may be provided by an officer there).

When your petition is ready, you will receive a message and be able to pick up your document at any time from the outbox for correspondence at the Visa and Registration Centre. The request for a petition may be processed for 3 (three) working days.

Please find out from your landlord about when you need to pick up the new registration slip. To check the accuracy of your slip, please refer to our sample registration slip. If you find a mistake on the registration slip, contact your landlord about this. You should be able to get a replacement within several days. In the meantime, keep the registration slip with the mistake on your person.

I will be staying in a hotel/hostel

With your new visa, you will need to contact the hotel receptionist in order to extend your migration registration. Confirm when you can pick up your registration slip.

While checking your registration, please refer to our sample registration slip. If you find a mistake on the document, immediately inform the hotel receptionist about it. You will receive a new registration slip in several days. In the meantime, keep the registration slip with the mistake on your person.


Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.